Music Playlist: Favourite 80s Songs
I love 80s songs. I love all music really. Music is really important to me. I probably spend a minimum of 2 hours a day just listening to music dedicatedly. It’s another form of escapism.
If I want to forget about work on my lunch break I go for a walk and plug my headphones in. Or if I’ve got writer’s block or am feeling overworked I plug my headphones in. If I’m having a bad day or one of those I-don’t-know-what-to-do days I just turn up the music.
And I have a very eclectic mix. We’re talking Eurovision meets Classical meet Ed Sheeran meets David Bowie.
Favourite 80s Music
So today I thought I would tell you about one of my favourite playlists on my iPod, my 80s music!
Now I have parents with good taste in music. It is official, totally and utterly. They gave my sister their vinyl collection when she was 15, that’s just good parenting!
Because of their tastes, however, I’ve been brought up on mix-tapes of Meatloaf, Queen, Kate Bush and so many iconic 70s-80s rock-pop-electro bands & singers!
And here are some of my favourites:
- The Smiths – Please, Please, Please & Asleep
- Status Quo – In the Army Now
- Peter Gabriel – In Your Eyes
- The Communards – For a Friend
- Dexys Midnight Runner – Come on Eileen & Geno
- Human League – Hard Times
- David Bowie – Ashes to Ashes & China Girl
- The Clash – I Fought the Law
- Ultravox – Vienna
- Phil Collins – In the Air Tonight
- The Jam – A Town Called Malice
- Kate Bush – Moments of Pleasure & Hounds of Love & Breathing
- The Buggles – Video Killed the Radio Star
- Tears For Fears – Mad World
- A-ha – Take on Me
There we have just some of my favourite 80s songs. Honourable mentions to Wham, Simple Minds, Michael Jackson, Joni Mitchel, Annie Lennox and so many more!
Just to further iterate how much of the 80s is embedded in my childhood…my first ever concert, aged 6, was a festival at Alton Towers with Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet), Status Quo & Human League – front row!
What are your favourite 80s songs? Or Albums – I’m terrible at remembering album names! Let me know in the comments below or on Twitter!